About 8 years ago I made the switch to natural deodorants. Why? Because for as long as I can remember, I’ve always had serious BO. I was that kid in high school that had to carry around an extra deodorant so I could reapply throughout the day to coverup the already there stench. Even in college, I would bring tea tree oil wipes with me so I could wipe down my underarms before or after class (I wish I was kidding but I’m not).
I can’t tell you how many different brands of deodorant I’ve tried.
I’ve even tried mens deodorant. I’ve seen doctors and tried prescription deodorants. I’ve tried special soaps. I’ve tried changing my diet. I’ve tried avoiding certain fabrics (because polyester and I are not simpatico). I’ve tried making my own deodorant. I’ve tried drinking copious amounts of water. NONE OF THIS HAS WORKED. AM I YELLING? YES, BECAUSE IT’S ANNOYING AF.
I got off topic so let me get back to my point, natural deodorant. Once I made the switch to natural deodorant, my body odor significantly improved. Do I still stink? Some days (on really warm days, it’s hard to avoid). And I truly believe I’ll always be that type of sweaty person that is just more susceptible. However, I’ve learned to minimize it and control the odor and that’s by using a natural deodorant along with a weekly underarm detox mask. It’s the detox mask that has made all the difference.
Are you scratching your head? Or have you heard of an underarm detox but never bothered to try it? Does it sound like too much work? Well it’s not, it’s insanely easy and 100% necessary if you’re using natural deodorants.
Detoxing your underarms is exactly what it sounds like- it removes toxins and helps bring bacterial balance to your underarms. It will also increase the effectiveness for that natural deodorant so this is a must.
This recipe is simple and calls for a couple ingredients.
I use it weekly. Usually I’ll wake up even earlier than normal and make a small batch and apply it for 15 minutes before I need to shower. It can be messy if you try to clean this mask off in the sink. I definitely recommend taking a shower to remove it. And I’ll also make a little extra so I can use it on my face. Might as well right, it’s fantastic for blackheads!
Bentonite Clay Mask Recipe
- 1 tbsp Magic Mud bentonite clay
- 1 tsp warm apple cider vinegar
- Warm the apple cider vinegar in a small bowl for 4-5 seconds (you don’t have to, I just prefer to because it helps the mask mix better).
- Add bentonite clay and stir until combined. If the mixture is too thick, add a little water. The consistency you’re looking for is a smoothable paste. Not too thin, not too thick. Think sour cream.
- Leave on 10-15 minutes and rinse off in shower. You will notice that your underarm (and your face if you used it on both areas) might be red after. This is because the mask increased blood flow to the area. It goes away shortly. Gently pat the area and follow with natural deodorant.
- Use 1-2 times a week. After about a month or once you’ve noticed the odor has subsided, continue using weekly.
- Avoid using a metal bowl (or utensils) when making this recipe. One of the properties of bentonite clay is that it attracts metal ions, which is what you want to draw out of the skin. Remember removing toxins from you underarm. Especially if you’re making the switch from a conventional deodorant because they’re mostly aluminum based. You’re drawing that stuff out so stick to either glass or plastic.
- Sometimes, it takes your body time to adjust to this detox. I would recommend starting with only 5 minutes and working your way up to 10 minutes, then 15 minutes, etc. Don’t exceed 15 minutes. And if it burns at all, take it off immediately.
- Sweating is normal so expect to sweat when using natural deodorants but this detox mask will definitely help minimize that.
- On the days I use this mask, I don’t even need deodorant that day.
- If you have sensitive skin, avoid using natural deodorants that contain baking soda. It’s a known skin irritant and I speak from experience. Deodorants that contain baking soda always give me a rash.
What’s the moral of the story? Detox those underarms peeps. You’ll thank me. Not only is it good to detox those babies, but you’ll notice a huge difference! I love the brand Magic Mud bentonite clay. It’s affordable and easy to find online!