If you live in Southern California and you haven’t been to Tanaka Farms, YOU ARE missing out.
Nestled right behind Strawberry Farms golf course in Irvine, Tanaka Farms is a unique farming experience the entire family will fall in love with. This place screams family fun and my family is slightly obsessed with this farm.
What do I love about Tanaka Farms?
EVERYTHING. As you enter, you pass the produce stand which is filled with organic produce that is harvested on-site. The further you walk in, you’ll notice acres of farmland. Sprinkled throughout the farm are cute little photo op areas (social media has even taken over the farms) from tractors to decorated wooden boards and a life-size Hello Kitty.
Hands down the COOLEST part about Tanaka Farms is the guided wagon ride around the farm where you get to try fresh, picked-that-morning vegetables.
I’ve gotten to try carrots, romaine, spinach, cherry tomatoes, corn, snap peas and even Maui onions. The fun part is that it’s different each time you visit since its based off what’s in season. Plus, it’s a working farm so you learn a little bit about what it takes to harvest produce. And as corny as this sounds, you gain a little appreciation for good ole mother nature.
- Strawberry Festival (February-June) – go out in the fields to pick your own strawberries. You can even eat them as you’re picking. If I could insert the drool emoji, I would.
- Corn Festival (July- August) – go out in the fields and pick ears of corn. On the wagon ride, you get to try fresh corn and it’s so sweet you’ll be calling it nature’s candy.
- Melon Tour (August) – there is a melon demonstration and you get to try several types of summer melons.
- U-Pick Tour (March- August) – pick your own vegetables in the fields and you pay for what you pick.
- Pumpkin Patch (September- October) – come in costume, pick your own pumpkins, walk through the corn maze among other fun activities.
- Holiday Tour and Sanrio Village (November- December) – meet Santa, visit the Holiday market stand and the entire farm is very holidayish- makes for some great pictures.
Top Reasons To Visit Tanaka Farm
- Wagon Ride- THIS IS A MUST. The guided wagon tour is the main reason to visit the farm. You hop on a tractor and drive around the entire farm. There are several stops along the way where you try fresh, seasonal veggies. Depending on the season, sometimes you get out of the wagon to pick produce.
- Produce stand with farm fresh produce, Hello Kitty tchotchkes, and other knickknacks.
- All the produce is ORGANIC and DELICIOUS. You’ll never look at store-bought produce the same.
- Take in the beautiful scenery.
- Gives you a reason to unplug for a couple hours and enjoy #farmlife.
Some things to know:
Free admission into the farm- the wagon ride is $18 per person (2 and under is free). Plus, there’s kid games (face painting, ATV rides, crafts), food vendors, a chicken coop, and a concession stand if you get hungry.
Be prepared to get a little dirty- I have a certain pair of shoes I always wear when we visit.
Very kid friendly, lots of room for kids to run around (my middle child is a runner so this is a necessity when we go places)- bring your stroller too!
I’ve been dreaming about getting a chicken coop for years.
Unfortunately, we lack a sizable yard. So until that day comes, to the farm we go. Even if you don’t live in SoCal, I encourage you to try and find a local farm near you. It’s a one of a kind experience to be on a farm, get a little dirty and relish that farm life.
Be sure to check the Tanaka Farms calendar since there are other year-round events!